• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Funds and Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tit4tat

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a few questions.

First, a little history of the situtation. My wife's father unexpectly passed away about 15 years ago without a will. There was a settlement within the family with the acknowledgement that the farm was to be in a trust fund for two sisters after the death of their mother. Meanwhile one of the sisters "ran" the farm, which is an another long story in itself. Anyways, there are cattle on two different sites of the farm. When the mother passed, one of the properties were in my wife's name and the other in her sisters name. The question... is the cattle and hay that are on my wife's property belong to her now? if not, does it have to be divided? How does this work?

Secondly, when the mother passed away, her will stated that everything shall go to the one daughter. Which by the way is over 250 acres, $300,000.00 in cash, the farm house and all the equipment. I suppose she meant the cattle too, but wasn't explicitly written in the will. The mother acknowledged, in the will, that she had another daughter (my wife, which is the twin sister) and a son, but left everything to the one daughter. The question... can the will be contested? Do we have a leg to stand on?

We're not trying to be greedy. Actually, we were expecting that this would happen and ready to move on with our lives with the piece of property that my wife's father had talked about giving to us when he was alive. Only thing else my wife was hoping for was a dozen head of cattle to put on our 48 acres, but the sister seem to balk at that. This is the reason I'm angry and have the question about the cows that were left on my wife's property, the hay, and about contesting the will.

Its sad. I'm just glad I didn't marry the the other conniving, devious, manipulating, little ...

Oh yeah, the brother... he's an alcoholic, living off the taxpayer and follows everything the "other" sister says. He couldn't care less.What is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

What do the ownership papers on the cattle say about who owns them? Your situation is too complex to be answered here. Take the will to a probate attorney for consultation. You may have waited too long to contest but there are probably some other loopholes that sister forgot to close which may leave an opening for you to claim something.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">