• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gmnicola

My Brother and I are named as Executor of my Mother and Fathers Trust. My Father passed away in 1995. My mother is 90 years old and is competent and has just given my brother Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care, and Conservatorship, if it is needed. I am named to replace him if he won't, can't, or is unable to perform his duties.

My questions is:

(1) By Law, does he have to account to the Beneficiaries for any manipulation of Trust Assests.

California.

vrzirn

Absolutely. He has a fiduciary responsibility and should keep accurate records of all monies paid on behalf of the estate.He can be successfully sued if he abuses that trust.

G

gmnicola

Thank You for your reply.

Two more questions if I may.

(1) What are the guidelines a doctor must follow to deam someone Incompetent?

(2) Please explain the meaning of "Conservator of the Person".

Thank You in Advance!

vrzirn

Competence involves being able to understand the consequences of receiving medical treatment, and not receiving it, and being able to make a decision based on that understanding.
The suspicion of cognitive impairment should prompt a thorough evaluation of competence and mental state.Various medical and psychiatric disorders produce cognitive disturbances that result in temporary or permanent incompetence. That incompetence will affect an individual's decision-making capacity and ability to give informed consent.
Treatment of incompetent people should be dictated by their best interests, advance directives, or substituted judgement.
Usually, an ethics committee and the patient's doctors will determine his best interests.
Advance directives are the durable power of attorney, a living will and perhaps orders for "do not resusitate". It is best to provide for these directives before the patient loses his capacity for making those decisions.
Substituted judgement is that made by the Conservator of the Person. It can be conferred by the court or determined by advance directive.
Often the medical profession is uncertain both as to the circumstances in which the guidance of the court can be sought in relation to ethical decisions regarding individual patients and the way to go about requesting such guidance.That is because quite often competent people can make imprudent or irrational decisions.
Therefore, if your 90 year old mother suddenly takes up with a handsome 50 yr old, begins to fix up his double-wide and plans a trip to Hawaii, she is not necessarily incompetent. It is just her "last hurrah".

G

gmnicola

Is there a form I can file with mothers doctor to notify me, should she become incompetent without my knowledge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">