• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trust left to death row inmate then kids after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rgp n nc

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

After manipulation by family memebers, my grandfathers trust was amended to state that my father (incarcerated on death row) would receive the net income from the trust quarterly and the principle would go to his kids upon his death. My father has already been able to have the net income evenly devided between himself and the kids every quarter. Is there a way that my father can elect to have the principle turned over to the kids prior to his death?

seniorjudge

rgp n nc said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

After manipulation by family memebers, my grandfathers trust was amended to state that my father (incarcerated on death row) would receive the net income from the trust quarterly and the principle would go to his kids upon his death. My father has already been able to have the net income evenly devided between himself and the kids every quarter. Is there a way that my father can elect to have the principle turned over to the kids prior to his death?
Q: Is there a way that my father can elect to have the principle turned over to the kids prior to his death?

A: If pa wants to give you the dough, he can give you the dough.

Dandy Don

If the trust states conditions for the principal, then it must be followed strictly by the trustee and it will never be changed unless the kids pay for an expensive legal challenge in court. It's designed to keep this money in trust for them until they reach adulthood and are assumed to be more responsible for handling it a a future date.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

rgp n nc

Dandy Don said:
If the trust states conditions for the principal, then it must be followed strictly by the trustee and it will never be changed unless the kids pay for an expensive legal challenge in court. It's designed to keep this money in trust for them until they reach adulthood and are assumed to be more responsible for handling it a a future date.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
This is what I thought too. Like I said the current trust is an amended trust, amended after my grandfather was to sick to know what was going on. Time condition that the kids get the principle once the oldest reaches 25 years of age was taken out and the trust now reads that the principle is not to be touced untill the death of my fater. So just how expensive and troublsome will it be to straighten out this utterly rediculous current trust.

pojo2

So just how expensive and troublsome will it be to straighten out this utterly rediculous current trust.

What is so rediculous about it? Oh, except you can't get your hands on the money right now!

rgp n nc

pojo2 said:
So just how expensive and troublsome will it be to straighten out this utterly rediculous current trust.

What is so rediculous about it? Oh, except you can't get your hands on the money right now!
I guess you have trouble reading, so I'll say it again. The original trust stipulated the grandchildren would get the principle once the youngest reached 25 years of age, now the principle is simply not to be touched by anyone, father or grandchildren till the father on death row passes away. The rediculous pertains to the principle sitting in a bank benefitting no one except them and the cold attitude of the medling family of my death row inmate father. Im sorry but that seems like the definition of "rediculous" to me.

Back to the original question, how expensive would a civil suit be in this matter. The grandchildren and death row inmate are all in favour of contesting the "amended" trust.

anteater

rgp n nc said:
I guess you have trouble reading, so I'll say it again. The original trust stipulated the grandchildren would get the principle once the youngest reached 25 years of age, now the principle is simply not to be touched by anyone, father or grandchildren till the father on death row passes away. The rediculous pertains to the principle sitting in a bank benefitting no one except them and the cold attitude of the medling family of my death row inmate father. Im sorry but that seems like the definition of "rediculous" to me.

Back to the original question, how expensive would a civil suit be in this matter. The grandchildren and death row inmate are all in favour of contesting the "amended" trust.
Pretty bloody expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">