• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust that my deceased Grandfather left me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shawv

I have been told by my father that my, now deceased, Grandfather (from Idaho) left a trust for me and my brother and sisters. I am trying to find out if such a trust still exists, and if it still does, if we are still elegible to receive it.

How do I go about finding out about it? Is there a central place that they are filed, etc?

I understand that it was to help pay for college. We are all in our 30's now, and I am interested in finding out about it, because even though I didn't get it, I would like to use it (if I am still entitled to it) to help pay for my childrens' education.

Would the executor, (my Uncle who now lives in Turkey) have any legal claim to it if we haven't received yet?

Is he legally obligated to give it to my siblings and I?

Would the trust still be "sitting" there?

I haven't thought about it until now when my kids are nearing college age and I would like to be able to use it for them.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

R

Roger

There are 2 basic types of trust that could be there -- one would be set up under a Will, and is known as a Testamentary Trust. Go to the county clerk of the county in which he died and get a copy of the Will (if it was admitted to probate) and see if there was a trust, and who is running it, etc.

The second trust is an Inter Vivos or Living Trust and that is established apart from any Will. It is purely private, between the trust maker and the trustee, who holds the assets in trust for the trust beneficiaries. There are usually no records or filing places. And they can be hard to find. If the trustee is not trustworthy, he may claim it doesn't exist, etc.

If there was real estate, there is a record of it, so you may want to see if he owned any real estate at the time of his death, or if a trust did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">