• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Payout Time Limit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tom Douglass

What is the name of your state? Arizona
My mother did and sisters still live in California.

My mother passed leaving a trust and will, now my sisters (as trustees) have sent me a letter typed by them not a lawyer asking me to sign to recieve my 1/3 of the remaing estate funds (they list an amount) and by signing have no futher claim to the estate. They have never up front with me and I need to know if I really need a lawyer to force them to submitt financial records of my mothers estate. Everything stinks in this letter and I don't trust them. I know they took my fathers car when he was first to pass, when it was stated I was to recieve it. I know they didn't sell it and put the money back into my mothers estate. Right now I'm just concerned the amount they want me to sign for isn't correct.

tecate

Other than acknowledging that you received what you received, don't sign anything unless you know what it is you are signing away. If you want financial information (called an accounting) you are entitled to it.

Dandy Don

In what state did the death occur for whom the trust and will are applicable to? You need to be consulting an attorney for that state for advice.

If it was California, you are entitled to request a copy of the trust and an accounting statement for each year the trust has been in existence by sending the trustee a certified letter requesting such (it would be better to have your attorney send the letter so the trustee will be less likely to ignore it).

You will have to wait and see what accountings they file for the trust and the will, but if you suspect financial misdealing you have the right to sue trustee for breach of fiduciary duty, but consult with your attorney before signing anything. If you knew they misappropriated the car you should have been consulting an attorney long before now.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">