• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA
I am the bene in my stepfather's trust, and my half brother is the successor trustee. I have a copy of the terms of the trust, although I am hardpressed to really understand all of it. My question tho is this... when am I entitled to know the value of the assets of the trust or am I ever entitled to be given an accounting of what the trust started with, where it is now etc... I am given a $10,000 gift on the first of the year but I am worrited about how my brother may have invested assets. I appreciate any and all advice.

Dandy Don

Yes, you do have the right as beneficiary to ask for an accounting statement for every year that the trust has been in existence. Do so by sending a certified letter--if you have an attorney of your own it's better for you to ask the attorney to do it to provide some type of distance/objectivity.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Thank you DD,
You have hit right on the heart of the problem for me, my brother and I are quite close and I am trying not to stir up a problem here, but it will be 3 years since dad died in Jan and I still have no idea of what we are talking about as far as how much , where invested and so forth. Another thing he did that bothers me is that he fired the attorney that set up the trust for our dad, and said he was talking to a guy at his church who might take over. I was never able to get the original attorney to give me her side of the story so I wonder about that, and my brother belongs to a church that has very "disciplined" ideas of titheing, (did I spell that right?). I have avoided going to an attorney because it seems like that will make it open warfare and that is something I would rather not see happen , we are the only two left now. Thank you again for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">