• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust in State of Minnesota?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eric1970

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Ok so my mother-in-law set up a trust for her estate.

My wife, her sister, and my 2 daughters (Both over 18) are named as beneficiaries in trust. So here is the thing I don't understand. My brother-in-law (wife and sisters adopted brother) has been in jail for a number of years (Long Story) and he is not mentioned in trust. My sister in-law want him to live in house included in trust because she feels bad for him. Correct me if I am wrong, but does she not need to get approval from all beneficiaries? I feel that my brother in-law should be required to pay rent and utilities if this happens. I don't feel sorry for him he made some bad choices in life and now he has to deal with it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Ok so my mother-in-law set up a trust for her estate.

My wife, her sister, and my 2 daughters (Both over 18) are named as beneficiaries in trust. So here is the thing I don't understand. My brother-in-law (wife and sisters adopted brother) has been in jail for a number of years (Long Story) and he is not mentioned in trust. My sister in-law want him to live in house included in trust because she feels bad for him. Correct me if I am wrong, but does she not need to get approval from all beneficiaries? I feel that my brother in-law should be required to pay rent and utilities if this happens. I don't feel sorry for him he made some bad choices in life and now he has to deal with it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Frankly, this your feelings, thoughts, etc., don't matter in this situation. Your wife and her family can sort this matter out. If your wife is unsure, she should consult with an attorney.

I'm curious...is mother-in-law dead?

Eric1970

Frankly, this your feelings, thoughts, etc., don't matter in this situation. Your wife and her family can sort this matter out. If your wife is unsure, she should consult with an attorney.

I'm curious...is mother-in-law dead?
Yes she passed away in October, My wife does not want to rock boat and I don't want her to get advantage taken of her.

Eric1970

May I suggest that you respect your wife's wishes about her matters?
I guess what I am looking for is does an answer, does she have to get approval from all members in trust before she make decisions about items involved in trust?

AdjunctFL

does she have to get approval from all members in trust before she make decisions about items involved in trust?
It depends on the terms of the trust, which no one here can see. At a minimum, she needs to get approval of the Trustee. Who does the trust name as the Trustee?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">