• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust Tax Identification Number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

maryandwes

Florida.
I and my sister are successor trustees to the trust of
my mother, who recently passed away. According to
an annuity that our mother had purchased, we may
either continue the annuity or cash it in. We will
most likely cash it in; however the company holding the
annuity needs the "Trust Taxpayer Identification Number" from us. What is that and where can I find it? It is not
on the trust agreement.
Thanks in advance.
maryandwes

L

loku

The taxpayer id number is to a trust what a Social Security Number is to a person. If the trust has filed a tax return (Form 1041), The number is called the “Employer Identification Number” and is on the top of the right hand side of page one of the tax form.

If this is a new trust that has not yet filed a tax return, you should apply for an Employer Identification Number on Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number. Although the trust is not an employer, Form SS-4 is the correct form to use. It is short and easy to fill out. You can download a free copy of the form at: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/forms_pubs/index.html.

For this info, and other info you should know about a trust, download IRS Publication 559, Survivors, executors, and Administrators at the same site.

L

loku

I would like to add one thing. Although the Publication I suggested (Pub 559) will be helpful, you will get more help from Form 1041 and the Instructions to Form 1041. Download those at the same site as the publication.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">