• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trust/will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dendonald

I live in CA. Three years ago I was asked by an elderly neighbor to help her pay her bills. as her eyesight was not as well
as it used to be. She was living alone. No one ever visited her or took care of her, she was living in a filthy house. We had been friends and neighbors for several years prior. A few weeks after her request for help, she didn't come to the door so I phoned 911 and she was found, on the floor. The paramedics told me she would have died (she'd been on the ground for two days. In order to help her, I needed to have Power of Attorney: her house insurance had been cancelled and the state was about to confiscate her assets for non-use. I was on my way to college in the Fall to N.Y.C I cancelled first one semester...then another, then it was too late. Ann called me her Guardian Angel. The next 2 1/2 years I handled every aspect of her life. I took her to the Dr's, sat with her in hospital, bought groceries, returned her home to a nice clean home again. Her sister and her sister's daughter-in-law would visit no more than 2 times a year for an half hour or so. Never did they phone on Holidays, Birthdays etc.. It was I who would make special arrangements for Ann to enjoy the Holidays. I hired 24 hour care for her. Everyone involved with myself and Ann agrees that I took excellent care of her and that she loved me very much. As trustee of the Estate I wasn't very good about keeping records, perhaps $70 thousand is un accounted for, but I know it was used for Ann.
The family (after knowing of my involvement for two years): called social services. The end result being that I had taken excellent care of Ann. I admitted I'm not an accountant and gladly resigned as trustee. (I'm an artist, I was never told by my lawyer to keep records). Now there is an accounting being called for, by the state app. trustee who is not dissolving the trust. The sister (89 yrs) is accusing me of undue-influence (Trust) because Ann "didn't know what she was doing". This is NOT true at all, Ann was a strong, opinionated lady. I even have her on tape saying she chose me as her Power of Att..Please help me. These people left her to die in a hovel. They are the ones who should be accused of Elder Abuse. They are contesting the Trust. Thank you. I need advice.

ALawyer

I am sorry, but the slogan "no good deed goes unpunished" comes to mind.

It is easy to levy charges, and hard to prove what you did. If you have no receipts, you'll need to start reconsrtucting records.

It is possible that a lawyer can solve this for you very quickly and even get you paid for your services or his expenses. An elder lawyer is the one to go to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">