• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust, Will, POA for father - lawyer who will not discuss with kin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tooligan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Illinois

My father was recently struck with a medical matter, and is unable to speak. I am the eldest son. He is able to comprehend for the most part, but has Aphasia and Apraxia. Long road ahead to recovery. As I had been asked multiple questions about his wishes, and POA, etc, I searched the house and discovered he had an engagement letter with a law firm, for estate planning, wills, POA and other related services. I contacted that firm to try to determine what he has completed, etc. They sent someone to visit with him, as "he had not granted them permission to speak to anyone about his case". They now have concluded he has granted them permission for me to speak with them. Now, of course, they want to charge me a few hundred dollars for a consultation call. Is this typical? I know time is money, but I am simply trying to determine what documents are executed and the form of them. To me, this is not a legal service, but simply an information request. My father has already paid them thousands for their services (for what, I don't know yet, as they won't tell me). I'll play ball initially but want to make sure I am not being taken for a ride. I have no reason to doubt the firm, but I am in uncharted waters as far as my expertise.

tooligan

Attorneys are entitled to be paid for their work.
I understand and appreciate that, and acknowledged that in my original post. What I am struggling to understand, and is the root of my question, (which perhaps I did not outline clearly), is what exactly the work is they are performing on my behalf. My father already paid for these documents. To me, they should simply be provided to me, so I can 1) ensure I am appropriately following his wishes, 2) confirm or deny there is POA that should be followed. I did not think any of these are top secret. He has given them consent. I am not asking for any free advice or estate planning from this attorney. So I am trying to understand/confirm that its typical for this type of scenario to become a billable consultation call.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand and appreciate that, and acknowledged that in my original post. What I am struggling to understand, and is the root of my question, (which perhaps I did not outline clearly), is what exactly the work is they are performing on my behalf. My father already paid for these documents. To me, they should simply be provided to me, so I can 1) ensure I am appropriately following his wishes, 2) confirm or deny there is POA that should be followed. I did not think any of these are top secret. He has given them consent. I am not asking for any free advice or estate planning from this attorney. So I am trying to understand/confirm that its typical for this type of scenario to become a billable consultation call.
He can charge for his time in retrieving, reviewing, copying, etc.

justalayman

You said the understanding is your father granted them permission to speak with you. Unless there is more to what was granted, that doesn't mean you are able to read or obtain documents or work product from the attorney. Talking is talking. They get paid to talk. If your father had a sit down with them, chances are it would be billable time. Why would your chat be free?

curb

Attorneys are an interesting group. Many will turn any excuse possible into "billable hours". Some are very reasonable. Wouldn't you hate it if when going to Home Depot or Lowe's that the people there to help you charged every time you asked them a question. Having said that, my best friend for the last 60 years is a prominent attorney and led me to this analogy. Don't be surprised if the attorney wants to charge you $20 per page just to make copies. They fully understand when they can play "got you".

justalayman

Attorneys are an interesting group. Many will turn any excuse possible into "billable hours". Some are very reasonable. Wouldn't you hate it if when going to Home Depot or Lowe's that the people there to help you charged every time you asked them a question. Having said that, my best friend for the last 60 years is a prominent attorney and led me to this analogy. Don't be surprised if the attorney wants to charge you $20 per page just to make copies. They fully understand when they can play "got you".
They do effectively charge you when you ask questions. Those people you talk to get paid. Their costs are reflected in your purchase price. A lawyer has expenses beyond him/her getting paid.

If you want something more comparable, as a cpa to give you free advice and see where that goes.

LdiJ

They do effectively charge you when you ask questions. Those people you talk to get paid. Their costs are reflected in your purchase price. A lawyer has expenses beyond him/her getting paid.

If you want something more comparable, as a cpa to give you free advice and see where that goes.
I am going to disagree a bit...many CPAs will give quite a bit of initial advice without billing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">