• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trustee and hostile brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Newponder

My mother recently died, in Colorado, leaving a trust and the trustee as executor. During my mother's last days, my brother physically assualted me and verbally abused my sister and since then has not been communicative. He has the only key to my mother's house. The trustee who has contol over the trust and is executor has put his trust in my brother and is letting him take care of the bills and the tangible personal property. Here is the problem, my brother has loaded up his truck with everything he wants from the house and has went home to Arizona. My sister and I can not gain access to the house and the time for clearing what we want from the house before the estate sale deadline is drawing near. The trust says the tangible property is to be split equally between the children. The trustee is saying he is waiting for this brother to come back with the key and that we can fudge on the deadline. Meanwhile there is a interested buyer for the house. This trustee keeps referring us to the abusive brother. What can we do about this situation and protect ourselves from this abusive brother?

A

advisor10

JUNE 11, 2001

DEAR NEWPONDER:

Do you all really want any of the personal property that is left in the house now? The brother probably took all of the good, valuable items for himself and left only the junk behind. Since the executor has complete authority on how to dispose of the personal property, there may not be anything you can do now except to wait for your share of the money from the estate sale. An inventory of the personal property should have been made, detailing each item and the name of the person who it should go to, but frequently people forget to do this.

With someone who is known to be abusive, it is best and safer not to have any more contact with them.

If you are going to be a beneficiary who will be receiving income or money from the trust and/or the estate sale, then you should be happy about that, and forget about claiming any property.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">