• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trustee Involves Another With Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Round_&_Round

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I've been talking with the trustee relative that's involved with my Special Needs Trust. This relative has told me that his partner that he's living with is now involved in handling the trust because he has way too much in his life right now too handle it anymore! He has also told me that his partner has been talking with the lawyer on the phone about this also. The lawyer has also told his partner that he didn't know too much more about the rules of the trust and that my trustee relative must come with me to social services to talk with them about the trust and what things I can purchase with it!

I am soooo confused and am also starting not too trust them anymore! I did however mention to them that I did find a lawyer that will go over the trust with me if I can get a copy of it from them but I am not counting on them with going through with my idea at all!

I am wondering if my trustee relative has a legal right to involve his partner with my Special Needs Trust in any way!?

I am sorry if I made this kind of confusing. I didn't know how to explain it. :(

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Unless the partner is an attorney who specializes in Special Needs Trust, the trustee's relative has no business discussing this with this particular third party. It appears to be somewhat unethical. Discuss this with the attorney you wanted to accompany you so he can advise you on what to do next. The trustee may need to be replaced by someone who has more experience and also needs to be informed that he is not to be discussing private trust matters with his relative.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">