• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trustee for money willed to his child, refuses to give it to her.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amaykate

Oregon/CA (will was created)

Hi everyone,
So here is the deal. (And forgive my vocabulary, I don't know much about law which is why I am here!)
My grandmother willed $25,000 to me upon her death when I turned 25. She put it in the care of my father until I hit that age, as she died when I was two years old, and he promptly spent that money on a home for himself. (By the way the will was established in the state of California and we moved to Oregon shortly after) He matched the amount with his own money and put half my name on the house. He has rented out the house since I was 3 years old (25 years now) and has kept all of the income from the house. He hasn't given me a penny of it. Its now three and a half years past when I was supposed to be given the money and he still refuses to share the income he gets from the house and also refuses to sell the house. I just at the moment don't have time to hire a lawyer and am wondering if there is any way that I can force him to sell the house?

The plot thickens. He was diagnosed with a fatal disease 10+ years ago when I was in high school. Without my knowledge he put his other house into my name so that he could receive medicare. He now has told me i need to sign off on the house and I told him I would not as he has basically been taking and using my income from me since I was a child.

So my question is what rights do I have? Can I charge him rent for living in the house that has my name on it? Can I force him to sell both houses? He has mental issues and refuses to give me a penny of my own money and refuses to talk about it. My mother has gone broke helping me out and I want to repay her. Is there anything I can do here?

Thank you for any suggestions you may be able to offer.

Silverplum

Oregon/CA (will was created)

Hi everyone,
So here is the deal. (And forgive my vocabulary, I don't know much about law which is why I am here!)
My grandmother willed $25,000 to me upon her death when I turned 25. She put it in the care of my father until I hit that age, as she died when I was two years old, and he promptly spent that money on a home for himself. (By the way the will was established in the state of California and we moved to Oregon shortly after) He matched the amount with his own money and put half my name on the house. He has rented out the house since I was 3 years old (25 years now) and has kept all of the income from the house. He hasn't given me a penny of it. Its now three and a half years past when I was supposed to be given the money and he still refuses to share the income he gets from the house and also refuses to sell the house. I just at the moment don't have time to hire a lawyer and am wondering if there is any way that I can force him to sell the house?

The plot thickens. He was diagnosed with a fatal disease 10+ years ago when I was in high school. Without my knowledge he put his other house into my name so that he could receive medicare. He now has told me i need to sign off on the house and I told him I would not as he has basically been taking and using my income from me since I was a child.

So my question is what rights do I have? Can I charge him rent for living in the house that has my name on it? Can I force him to sell both houses? He has mental issues and refuses to give me a penny of my own money and refuses to talk about it. My mother has gone broke helping me out and I want to repay her. Is there anything I can do here?

Thank you for any suggestions you may be able to offer.
If you don't have time to hire an attorney, you certainly don't have time to do (and learn to do) anything you describe. You should reconsider, IMHO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">