• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trustee purchased 20% of home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bouree

What is the name of your state? Calif

My mom owned 80% of her home, and her grandaughter owned 20%. My mom's heirs are her 3 childern, me, my sister, and my brother. Equal shares. Some months after my mom's death, my sister produced a loan payoff statement of her daughters loan, and claimed that she now owns that 20%. My sister is also the trustee, and had access to my mom's accounts even prior to her death. I am suspicious of what money she used to pay off that loan. Can I require her to prove via her own checking acoount statements, what money she used to pay off that loan ? Or some other proof ? My moms financial statements even months prior to her death ? If it was her money, then ok, but if it belonged to my mom, then shouldn't it belong to the 3 heirs equally ? If she did purchase that 20% legally, was she at all obligated to offer a share of it to me and my brother, because it's value is continually increasing ?

Thank you,

Joanie B

Dandy Don

Please stop trying to gyp this partial owner out of their share of the home.

Executor or trustee needs to be looking at the home's title/deed to see exactly whose names are on it and getting the legal owners/heirs names officially added on there if they are not already there, during the probate process if there is a will.

It will do you no good to investigate what the source of funds were--the owner is still the owner (is the house already paid for or were the co-owners still making payments to a mortgage company before the death occurred?) and the percentage of ownership does not change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">