• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trusts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vacation59

My father has his residence in a trust. My father was told that it would be a better idea to put his residence in his name instead of the trust. Any ideas about this. My father lives in the state of Maryland.

ALawyer

In most states and circumstances it is usually better to hold real estate in a living trust so that it would pass directly without the expense and delay of probate -- and the same step up basis for income tax purposes applies.

While in some states a primary residence home held in trust may not qualify for the homestead exemption in the event of bankruptcy, if this is not a real concern, I don't understand why the advice was given to him -- unless there may be a special reason or circumstance that I am not aware of or it involved a type of trust that is no longer appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">