• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two names on a deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ - NY
One more question
Father in law owned a piece of property. He transferred that property to my husband as the result of a mechanic lien.
Father in law was added back to my husbands deed, husband had health issues, before we were married and they did not think he would live. The deed was then transferred to my husband's sister. Does father in law's estate have anything to do with that property?
Father in law was 100% compensated by way of that lien.
Thanks I think I am out of questions
Steff

OHRoadwarrior

You are not clear whos interest was transferred to sister. You said deed went from FIL to husband, then became joint, then one or boths interest was transferred to sister. You were not clear on title changes.

justalayman

First you need to understand that a deed is not transferred. In fact, the deed is the mechanism of transfer of title. Title is what is transferred.

As to whether your FIL's estate has any claim to the property:

The deed was then transferred to my husband's sister. Does father in law's estate have anything to do with that property?
who was listed as grantor(s) on that lease. If your FIL was not, did he ever execute a deed (concerning this property) which he was the grantor prior to his death?

steffb503

both husband and father in law were grantors.
The interest in the property went from husband and father in law to sister.
I have since learned that sister had deed transferred prior to his death into a LLC that she owns. How does that change any potential interest father in law's estate may have i the property?

anteater

I have since learned that sister had deed transferred prior to his death into a LLC that she owns. How does that change any potential interest father in law's estate may have i the property?
"Change any potential interest"????

There is still something quite mysterious about where you are going with this.

Your husband and his father transferred ownership of a property to your husband's sister. Why would your husband's father's estate have any interest in the property? Why would what your husband's sister did with the property after becoming its owner have anything to do with your husband's father's estate?

justalayman

if he transferred all interest in the property to another and did not reacquire any interest at a later time, he simply had no interest in the property. The fact you are here asking what you are suggests there is more to the story.

steffb503

Father remained manager of the bar on the property. The other sibling, executor would like to add the value of this property to fathers estate and maybe even liquidate it. Because father had some income from managing the bar on the property.

justalayman

Father remained manager of the bar on the property. The other sibling, executor would like to add the value of this property to fathers estate and maybe even liquidate it. Because father had some income from managing the bar on the property.
working for the bar does not equate to ownership. Ownership is the only thing that allows you to consider it part of the estate.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So he was an employee. Big deal. It did not belong to father and the other sibling has NO CLAIM on it for the father's estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">