• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two non family executors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeninesque

I live in New Jersey. My friend appointed me one of his executors, his son, to whom saw his father twice in more than 20 years, the other. He instructed the nursing home that I was not to be permitted to seeing my friend and the nursing home not to call upon his passing.

My friends diedI was not told of his passing. THe son, knowing I was a co-executor, express to all legal bodies I should not be given a death certificate. SInce I am not family all have obliged.

I have the orginal will. I can not file it because I do not have and can not attain a death certificate. The son has filed a caveat against any wills that are pressented. Dirty business and would appreciate any advise.

Thank You Sincerely ahead of time

Jeninesque

The listed beneficaries are me and the son. We are both co-executors and we are both the witnesses to the will the retired atty drew up in 2010

FlyingRon

The will indicates the deceased intent for beneficiaries and executors but nothing is decided until the estate is probated. You should contact the surrogate's office in the county in which he resided to find out how to get the ball rolling.

tranquility

There are no executors until appointed by the court. You must try to file the will. Ask the clerk how to get a copy of the death certificate. The best course is to get an attorney. That's what the deceased would have wanted.

curb1

How much is involved in the estate? Is it worth your time to be involved when compared to what you will receive?

Jeninesque

I can not file because I can not get a death cert. I am not family. The surrogates office is not instructing at all**************....

anteater

Have you consulted with an attorney?

I realize that you may want to try to do this yourself. But you say that the son has already field a caveat. Even if you had a certified death certificate, I don't think that you would want to try to defend the will on your own.

If I remember my Jersey correctly ... Once a caveat has been filed, the Surrogate is out of the picture and the ball game automatically moves to the big leagues of Superior Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">