• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UGMA Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yak yum

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Sam's grandmother, in around 1992, established and was custodian of a UGMA account for him. Sam's parents divorced in 1998. In 2000 grandma took the money out of Sam's name and ss#.

Up until 2000 I (Sam's mother) was paying taxes on this account. I asked in 2000 about the 1099 for the fund and was told that it was "taken care of" Recently I asked Sam's Grandmother for an accounting of the money as Sam is now 16 and talking about colleges. She will not provided it and claims that Sam's father has been spending the money over the last 7 years ($23,000 in 2000) on Sam for cell phone costs, vacations, sports etc. Isn't this a violation of the UGMA to take the money out of Sam's name and give it to his father to spend over the years as he sees fit without documentation of where it really went? and can I bring suit to reclaim this lost money? Sam is now 16. The father has an income of $100,000 a year and it seems incredible that he could have spent this much money on Sam, especially since the father lives in another city and does not have physical custody of Sam.

Dandy Don

Yes, it is a violation of UGMA rules. You will need to find someone locally who is an expert on UGMA matters (perhaps there is someone at a bank or university financial aid office) to advise you about how to proceed. First determine if there are options besides filing a lawsuit--there is probably some government agency that will handle complaints on this.

anteater

Someone at a bank or financial aid office is not going to offer legal advice. And there are no government agencies that are going to handle an UTMA matter.

Sam's (or his legal representaive's) recourse is the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">