• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uh-oh Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

survtech

My father died this past June of cancer. He had left a will in our possession along with a copy to each of the executors (yes two). One executor is a life long friend and a business partner engaged in a joint ownership of mining claims. The other executor is my father’s brother who lives in KC, Mo. My father lived and owned a motel business in Nevada with ownership of the motel solely in his name. He also had a Truck and a car that also are solely in his name. Unfortunately the executors are leaving it up to us to get an attorney to get this matter settled. We don't mind except that we are unable to get an attorney to take it.

In his will he had all his jewelry and stones (he collected men’s and women’s jewelry for investments) to go to my oldest sister (value was about $1,500.00), he had me getting his surveying equipment and guns (again about $1,500.00 in value) and for youngest sister, $1,500.00 deposited into her bank account. I had went to see my father before has passed, he had instructed me at that time that on my return trip home to take the guns back with me. So I did as he instructed. About a week later he had become seriously ill and I went back to Nevada to see him. During my final trip down there he passed away. Fortunately we all were with him by his side when he passed. To get to my questions,

Can the executor sign off the titles to the cars without initiating probate in a court?

There are absolutely no disagreements between my sisters and I. My younger sister is 15 but her mother (divorced from my father) has stated such. I know there no issues will arise concerning “who gets what”.

How much involvement will an attorney have to play in such a probate? What would be an estimated fee (ball park)?

I have personally tried to contact attorney, who I have spoken to and have declined this probate. My sister has contacted some with the same results. My father lived between Reno and Las Vegas, and the closest attorneys are 100 miles. No of them want to travel

I would have to county appraisal for the taxes on the motel have a value of (I think, but should be close) of about $75,000. The only problem is that the motel will more than likely never sell due to it’s location and the new owners would have to bring it up to code which would prove expensive.

Also what can you do about individuals who owe my father money? Right now I am concentrating on getting his debt paid off and the money owed to him would help.

I really apologize for such a long post but I really don’t know where to turn.

ALawyer

Most states have a simplified procedure for small estates that can esily accomodate the car, etc.

Perhaps the NV State bar can make a referral to a lawyer for you. If that does not help call the county clerk where he lived and explain that you can't get a lawyer.

The minor child does present a problem, but it can be worked out.

As for the worthless motel, seek advice from a real estate agent. If it really is worthless, you might have to abandon it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">