• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unborn children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teresef

What is the name of your state? CA

I am currently pregnant and was wondering if I am allowed to list the preferred guardian of my unborn child if i were to die in child birth or shortly thereafter. I ask this because my domestic parnter is not the biological parent of our child and I want to ensure that she is protected in the case of my death since our adoption will not yet be approved.

P

Pfaffing85690

You can list anything you want. But it isn't legally binding.

Either you need to name the father, have the father submit to a paternity test or list the child as not having a father.

Children are not possessions to be 'given' to another.

T

teresef

Parents are gay

Thanks. The father is an anonymous donor. Would that court be swayed by my wishes if i were to name the guardian of my unborn child? It was my impression that in the case of born children, parents could name a guardian in the case there was no father?

P

Pfaffing85690

Sure you can name a guardian. But it's up to the court to decide if your wishes will be granted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">