• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncashed stock checks belonging to grandfather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mugs23

In Maine:
Grandfather had quite a few shares of stock, he died in 1994, no will. His wife, my grandmother died 1/01. We have found tons of unopened dividend checks from the stock. She has a will that gives my father (her son) power of attorney, executor of her will. What do we do with all these checks? How do we get the stock in my father's name? there was no specific mention of the stock in her will. Please tell me where to start!
Thanks!

ALawyer

Okay, this is not all that unusual.

When Grandfather died did he have a Will? If so was it probated? (Probably not.) If he had no Will then it would have passed to the heirs at law: in this case his wife and children, and an administrator would be appointed. In any event, Will or NOT, the property in HIS sole name has to go thru probate, and it's not too late if it didn't.

As for the checks, the company will replace them to the extent it has not already paid the proceeds into the state Treasury under Maine's escheat laws. If it did, the state will pay it to the rightful heirs (without interest).

Get a lawyer to make life simple and clean matters up. It pays, especially in cases like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">