• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unclaimed Funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

On a whim, I looked at the New York State Comptroller's Web site for unclaimed funds in my family, I found two - one is from my paternal grandmother and another on the same side of my family from a great-aunt. Now on this side of the family, I am an heir of my late father, but I still have an aunt and uncle who are still alive. Would they have more right to these funds that I would? In addition, I know if I try to claim these funds, I will need to prove my relationship to the people who have these unclaimed funds and I'm not sure how I can do that since I have no records in my possession. I went through this a few years ago with an insurance policy that my mother had and it took about a year (the Comptroller's Office kept asking me to submit more and more documentation such as birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc), and cost me almost as much as the fund was worth, and I had documents. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">