• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unclamed assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MBOB

My brother passed away in Ohio approximately twenty years ago. He was never married. Our parents and a sister are also deceased. Unclaimed assets of my brother are being held by the state. A clerk in the probate court said I would need to go to Ohio and fill out the necessary forms and appear before the Judge and the process should be relatively simple. My question is "what paperwork if any do I need to have to prove that I am the sole survivor"? Are there any other things I should know?

ALawyer

Take with you copies of any papers reflecting the disposition of the estates of your parents and your sister (such as copies of the Wills, the appointment of executors and administrators, etc.) If she left any children, let them know what you are doing. Also, ask if they could MAIL you the papers you'd need; I don't know why a personal appearance is essential at this stage.

A

advisor10

It May be Easier Than You Think

12-6-2000

You should visit the Ohio Unclaimed Property website (go to http://www.unclaimed.org and then click on the Finders Section to locate Ohio and the link will directly connect you. At the Ohio site you can look up your relative's name and the site will also show the address and phone number and perhaps an e-mail address that you can write to to have all your questions answered about the type of documentation you will need.

You may need to get his death certificate. You may not necessarily have to prove that you are the only surviving relative, because sometimes just seeing that the last name is the same is enough. Was your name mentioned in the relative's will or on his/her funeral program or newspaper obituary notice? If they ask for further proof that you are the only surviving relative, then you may need to hire a genealogist in the area where the relative lived to do a family tree (if you need a recommendation, let me know and I will find one for you). Services may cost between $100 to $300.

Please check at the county courthouse for the city/state where your relative died to see if he/she had a last will and testatment on file--if so you should order photocopies of the file to find out who handled the financial affairs, etc. just for your own personal knowledge. It may be that the estate executor could handle this matter for you for little or no charge and would have some of the documents you need to provide as proof.

You didn't say what state you lived in, but if you live in a different state from Ohio, then the probate clerk may have made a mistake in his advice. It may not be necessary for you to appear in person if it would be a difficulty/hardship for you, since most forms you can fill out can be notarized in the presence of a notary public to prove that it is you who signed them, etc.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">