• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

under age legal rights for Dads ashes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cheyenne hughes

Doing what?

Not leaving the disposal of human remains to a minor?

Did the deceased have a will that specified the disposition of his remains?
Get an attorney. The attorney will stop the funeral home from doing anything hasty. The question of age is a red-herring - her rights are not lessened, but she will need a representative, as you alluded to.
Thank you again for the advise. Up until this point I have stayed out of the situation as my daughter is old enough and machure enough to make her own decisions, I am behind her 100% for support. So, the decision is up to her if she wants to fight this battle. If she does, I will step in and make sure she has everything she needs to do so. That is why I am on here today, it is to try and find out on my daughters behalf if she has leagal rights pertaining to this matter. So when she gets home from school, I can tell her what her options are. So, on my daughters behalf Thank you again for the advise

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While I totally understand your point about letting your daughter decide, I disagree. Your daughter is a little girl who just lost her dad. You need to be an active and vocal advocate for her.

justalayman

a section of Washington code regarding the cremains:

(1) A person has the right to control the disposition of his or her own remains without the predeath or postdeath consent of another person. A valid written document expressing the decedent's wishes regarding the place or method of disposition of his or her remains, signed by the decedent in the presence of a witness, is sufficient legal authorization for the procedures to be accomplished.

(3) If the decedent has not made a prearrangement as set forth in subsection (2) of this section or the costs of executing the decedent's wishes regarding the disposition of the decedent's remains exceeds a reasonable amount or directions have not been given by the decedent, the right to control the disposition of the remains of a deceased person vests in, and the duty of disposition and the liability for the reasonable cost of preparation, care, and disposition of such remains devolves upon the following in the order named:

(a) The surviving spouse or state registered domestic partner.

(b) The surviving adult children of the decedent.

(c) The surviving parents of the decedent.

(d) The surviving siblings of the decedent.

(e) A person acting as a representative of the decedent under the signed authorization of the decedent.

It would appear the funeral home is acting properly as directed by Washington code.

Cheyenne hughes

While I totally understand your point about letting your daughter decide, I disagree. Your daughter is a little girl who just lost her dad. You need to be an active and vocal advocate for her.
I agree with you, and you have know idea how hard it has been throughout this ordeal not to shield and protect my daughter from everything, I have had to bit my tounge so many times because my daughter asked me to (we discus everything). my daughter is almost 17yrs old, and one of those kids that is more mature then her age is, I didnt relize exactly how mature until this situation. She has kept her cool, when I would have wanted to rip someones head off, lol. Anyways, I can not and will not force my daughter into a fight with her blood relatives as that would not be fair to her. So, yes that is her decision, if she choses to do so that is when I will step in and make sure my daughters rights and wishes are protected and heard.

Cheyenne hughes

a section of Washington code regarding the cremains:

It would appear the funeral home is acting properly as directed by Washington code.
You see, now this is what I was looking for but did not know where to find it. THANK YOU. This way I can give my daughter the wright and leagal information so she may make an informed decision of how she wants to persue the matter or not. I didnt want warm and fuzzy or even someone to agree with my opinion, nore did I want cold and snotty. I wanted just the facts. So, thank you again for the information, it is really apritiated. Cheyenne

Kiawah

Wjhen the words are underlinned in the color red when you are posting, then you mit want to use spelcheck.

It makes it a lot easier for others to read.

justalayman

you do realize that kiawah's "mistakes" were intentional ?
I presumed they were but typing as such and then complaining about how somebody else types is like telling somebody that getting shot with a gun hurts and then shoots himself in the leg to prove it.

Is that what you do as well TrustUser? Do you not comprehend the English language well enough that you would have understood the words typed correctly?

On top of that, his post was a total waste. Typical troll tirade.

TrustUser

just in case you arent aware, kiawah is one of the most patient posters that the forum has.

i wish we had more trolles like him. just in case you could not figure it out, trolles was mis-spelled intentionally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">