• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uniform Transfer to Minors: valid in Germany?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrisben

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

We are a married couple with 2 young children and limited assets. If we both die, we are appointing my mom, who lives in Germany, as our children's personal guardian. Would this pose any problems in terms of getting the provisions of our will carried out? We also plan to name my mom as property guardian and trustee or custodian. Executor will be my father-in-law, who lives in our state.
On a related note, what is the best way to leave life insurance proceeds to the kids if we should both die? Should we create a trust with my mom as trustee or leave them to the kids under the Uniform Transfer to Minors Act with my mom as custodian? Which would be less complicated for her to manage from Germany?

BlondiePB

chrisben said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

We are a married couple with 2 young children and limited assets. If we both die, we are appointing my mom, who lives in Germany, as our children's personal guardian. Would this pose any problems in terms of getting the provisions of our will carried out? We also plan to name my mom as property guardian and trustee or custodian. Executor will be my father-in-law, who lives in our state.
On a related note, what is the best way to leave life insurance proceeds to the kids if we should both die? Should we create a trust with my mom as trustee or leave them to the kids under the Uniform Transfer to Minors Act with my mom as custodian? Which would be less complicated for her to manage from Germany?
You require a really good Estate Attorney. You cannot "will" away children. Yes, you can nominate a guardian for your children in your will. However, that does not mean your request will be honored by the court. Guardianships are jurisdictional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">