• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unresolved divorce and wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheOtherWoman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have been with a man for 26 years, living together, raising our child (both ours biologically), and living together as husband and wife. The man I live with (will call him Ted for ease of writing) was married when we met. He was in the military at the time. He has not seen his estranged wife or had contact with her for the past 26 years except when she tried to get child support for a child that was not his (proven by DNA testing - she was pregnant when they met) shortly after he left the military.

Now Ted would like to write a will, leaving me and our son as beneficiaries of his estate. Ted is concerned his estranged wife will get the entire estate due to the laws of Oregon. Is there any way to exclude her from the estate and leave us what he intends? He wants to divorce her but she moves a lot, has a very common name, and has not been easy to find due to her unsettled lifestyle. I have a larger income than Ted and live a comfortable life. This is more about leaving the estate to intended heirs than the amount of the estate that would be lost.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">