• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unscrupulous Motive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

infoguy

What is the name of your state? Texas

A gay couple has befriended my elderly, widowed mom. They live a few doors down from her. I live in another state. The couple, who are strangers to me, has offered to prepare meals for Mom when she returns home from a hospitalization. One of them even offered to move in with her to help out. I know nothing about them. I hate to be suspicious, but I am. I have durable power of attorney, medical power of attorney, am the sole heir in my mom's will, and am the successor death trustee for my mom in a revocable trust. I'm concerned that they may either trick or coerce my mom into signing something she shouldn't. Is it conceivable that could happen and they could wind up taking her house and all her assets?
And if so, how do I protect myself and my mom?

Dandy Don

Have you discussed your concerns with your mother?

Right now you have no reason to be concerned--all they are doing is trying to be neighborly and help someone out. Find out their names and have a background check done on them or check local county/state databases to see if they have any record of criminal charges against them or not.

Did mother even tell you where the will is so you can have access to it when needed?

seniorjudge

Have you discussed your concerns with your mother?

Right now you have no reason to be concerned--all they are doing is trying to be neighborly and help someone out. Find out their names and have a background check done on them or check local county/state databases to see if they have any record of criminal charges against them or not.

Did mother even tell you where the will is so you can have access to it when needed?
double post

Keep all your stuff in one thread:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=355719

That would be a good one.

DD, don't encourage serial posters. They may send gay people to your house!:D

i'm4justice

it is best to protect yourself and your mother

you must be safe, if you do not know these people use caution. do not let them in your mothers house. if your mother has been friends with these neigbors that might be a different story. maybe your mother does not like them. if your mother needs help look into a nurse home at least till she can care for herself.
What is the name of your state? Texas

A gay couple has befriended my elderly, widowed mom. They live a few doors down from her. I live in another state. The couple, who are strangers to me, has offered to prepare meals for Mom when she returns home from a hospitalization. One of them even offered to move in with her to help out. I know nothing about them. I hate to be suspicious, but I am. I have durable power of attorney, medical power of attorney, am the sole heir in my mom's will, and am the successor death trustee for my mom in a revocable trust. I'm concerned that they may either trick or coerce my mom into signing something she shouldn't. Is it conceivable that could happen and they could wind up taking her house and all her assets?
And if so, how do I protect myself and my mom?

mtpockets

protect Mom

How long has your mother known this couple?

If your Mom needs assistance with Activities of Daily Living, look into an Assisted Living Facility. They are not expensive, and your Mom would be taken care of by licensed individuals.

Do not give caregivers or casual acquaintances access to her financial information. Some of this comes in the mail, so you might consider having her mail delivered to you.

Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">