• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsigned Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willowlace

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

I have five brothers & sisters and my mother recently passed away. Initially I was told (by them) that she passed without a will and we would have to enter probate. Now 6 months later, fighting over her possessions has 'produced' a will. A will that leaves me out in the cold. This 'will' is unsigned of course, but they (the other four) insist they have consulted an attorney who has told them it could be admitted into probate as long as the four of them swear that these were her wishes. A niece has tipped me that the will is a rouse. Can they do this to me (they feel since I live out-of-state and not close to the family I should receive nothing)? I was told by the courthouse that wills in NH have to be filed within 30 days. As they did not do this can the will be discredited on those grounds?

seniorjudge

This 'will' is unsigned of course, but they (the other four) insist they have consulted an attorney who has told them it could be admitted into probate as long as the four of them swear that these were her wishes.

Your sibs are lying to you.

Dandy Don

Please consult a lawyer immediately. You can open up probate yourself (the will is most likely invalid) and the judge can ask the interested parties to produce the will or otherwise the estate is divided according to intestate probate law and next-of-kin (siblings) are first in line as heirs. A probate lawyer for your state is most likely not reading this message board.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">