• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Updates for change of address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KWPR

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm going through a review of my legal documents (Last Will and Testament, Living Will and Health Care Power of Attorney). These were all prepared by an attorney in 2008. Throughout these documents it references our old address. We did not change states, just city and county. For example on the power of attorney for health care I designate my husband as my agent, but now that we've moved, the address shown on the document for my husband is out of date. Do I need to change everything with the old address to the new address?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TrustUser

i dont think there is any need to change legal documents, simply to refer to a new address

gosh, some people would be changing docs every year, if that was the case

it would be one thing if you prepared them yourself. but paying an attorney just to make some address changes ?

TrustUser

what might be advisable is to create a separate piece of paper with whatever pertinent contact information there is, and simply keep that updated - and then keep these documents in a good folder, such that all info about each document is in one slot

now, for example, if you were actually changing your health care attorney, then i would prepare a new doc. but if someone is simply moving, then just keep the current contact info in hand with the document

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">