• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT: Question about determining next-of-kin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anon123456

State: Maryland

A 34-year-old man passed away last week as the result of a work-related accident. He lived in Maryland with his 34-year-old girlfriend and their four-year-old daughter. The deceased gentleman and his girlfriend are undocumented (i.e. not legal residents of the U.S.) and the daughter is a U.S. citizen by birth. Furthermore, the deceased and his girlfriend lived together for four years in Maryland and had a relationship for a total of five years.

The deceased man was adopted as a young child in his home country and his adoptive parents still reside there. His biological parents also live outside the U.S., but in a country other than where his adoptive parents live.

In this situation and for the purpose of distributing insurance payments, earned income (income that he earned, but was not paid because he passed-away before the associated paycheck/s was/were distributed), and assets, who should be considered next-of-kin? Note that, at this time, there is no in-fighting within the family/extended family as to who should receive the benefits.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
State: Maryland

A 34-year-old man passed away last week as the result of a work-related accident. He lived in Maryland with his 34-year-old girlfriend and their four-year-old daughter. The deceased gentleman and his girlfriend are undocumented (i.e. not legal residents of the U.S.) and the daughter is a U.S. citizen by birth. Furthermore, the deceased and his girlfriend lived together for four years in Maryland and had a relationship for a total of five years.

The deceased man was adopted as a young child in his home country and his adoptive parents still reside there. His biological parents also live outside the U.S., but in a country other than where his adoptive parents live.

In this situation and for the purpose of distributing insurance payments, earned income (income that he earned, but was not paid because he passed-away before the associated paycheck/s was/were distributed), and assets, who should be considered next-of-kin? Note that, at this time, there is no in-fighting within the family/extended family as to who should receive the benefits.
Was paternity established on his daughter? If so, and he is legally the father (signed the AOP) then she is his next of kin and sole heir.

anon123456

Was paternity established on his daughter? If so, and he is legally the father (signed the AOP) then she is his next of kin and sole heir.
I can check on whether he signed an AOP, though I suspect he didn't. He was undocumented, probably unfamiliar with the U.S. legal system, etc. However, I believe that he served as a father in that he fully supported his daughter and girlfriend, paying for shelter, food, clothing, entertainment, etc. One thing that I forgot to mention is that he has an eight-year-old son from a previous relationship who he has not seen for most of the son's life and who lives in his (the deceased) home country. I believe the son lives with the deceased's adoptive parents. It is likely that the father (deceased) sent some money to his adoptive parents to help support his son.

Two other items that I forgot to mention are:

* His place of death was in Virginia (at work), although he lived in Maryland.
* This question is being asked because the insurance company and employer want to know who to distribute the money/assets to.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I can check on whether he signed an AOP, though I suspect he didn't. He was undocumented, probably unfamiliar with the U.S. legal system, etc. However, I believe that he served as a father in that he fully supported his daughter and girlfriend, paying for shelter, food, clothing, entertainment, etc. One thing that I forgot to mention is that he has an eight-year-old son from a previous relationship who he has not seen for most of the son's life and who lives in his (the deceased) home country. I believe the son lives with the deceased's adoptive parents. It is likely that the father (deceased) sent some money to his adoptive parents to help support his son.

Two other items that I forgot to mention are:

* His place of death was in Virginia (at work), although he lived in Maryland.
* This question is being asked because the insurance company and employer want to know who to distribute the money/assets to.
Who the heck are you in this. All of this man's LEGAL children are heirs. If he is on the birth certificate he had to sign the AOP. The girlfriend is entitled to NOTHING if there was no will.

anon123456

Who the heck are you in this. All of this man's LEGAL children are heirs. If he is on the birth certificate he had to sign the AOP. The girlfriend is entitled to NOTHING if there was no will.
I am not a relative, friend, or acquaintance of the deceased, his family, relatives, friends, etc. Nor did I ever meet the gentleman. Furthermore, I do not represent him, his girlfriend, daughter, son, any other family members, extended family members, friends, or acquaintances. This was the case in the past, is the case now, and will be the case in the future. Lastly, I will not gain any financial or non-financial benefit in obtaining and passing-on this information.

With this said, I understand now that the children are likely the next of kin, assuming he signed both birth certificates. If he did that, do insurance companies also require a guardian's name when the children four-years-old and eight-years-old. If so, who in this situation would be considered the guardian?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am not a relative, friend, or acquaintance of the deceased, his family, relatives, friends, etc. Nor did I ever meet the gentleman. Furthermore, I do not represent him, his girlfriend, daughter, son, any other family members, extended family members, friends, or acquaintances. This was the case in the past, is the case now, and will be the case in the future. Lastly, I will not gain any financial or non-financial benefit in obtaining and passing-on this information.

With this said, I understand now that the children are likely the next of kin, assuming he signed both birth certificates. If he did that, do insurance companies also require a guardian's name when the children four-years-old and eight-years-old. If so, who in this situation would be considered the guardian?
It is none of your business and has nothing to do with you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am trying to provide objective assistance, but understand you are angry and unwilling to assist anymore. Thank you for the information you provided.
I am not at all angry. But quite frankly there is no need for you to know anything since you know NONE of the relevant individuals. Hence you cannot assist ANYONE.

justalayman

I am trying to provide objective assistance, but understand you are angry and unwilling to assist anymore. Thank you for the information you provided.
You are either a nosy busy body that has no business injecting themselves in this situation or you are a student doing homework or you are a troll wasting everybody's time.

So, do we find you behind door #1, door #2, or door #3?

TrustUser

the op does not need to "know someone" to be of help.

it seems apparent to me that he is part of a chain in this situation.

someone that someone in the chain felt had the ability to get some information.

which apparently the op does have this ability.

the information that he gleans from you guys will get passed along, and eventually reach "someone".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
the op does not need to "know someone" to be of help.

it seems apparent to me that he is part of a chain in this situation.

someone that someone in the chain felt had the ability to get some information.

which apparently the op does have this ability.

the information that he gleans from you guys will get passed along, and eventually reach "someone".
The OP has claimed he has no relationship what-so-ever with anyone involved in this matter. If he's part of a "chain" then that claim is false. Furthermore, if he's part of a "chain" then there is a professional somewhere in this "chain" that can answer the questions.

anteater

Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain of fools

For five long years
I thought you were my man
But I found out
I'm just a link in your chain

You got me where you want me
I ain't nothin' but your fool
Ya treated me mean
Oh you treated me cruel

Chain, chain, chain
(Chain, chain, chain)
Chain of fools...

TrustUser

hi ant,

this is the first song that came to my mind, with chains

http://rock.rapgenius.com/The-beatles-chains-lyrics#lyric

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">