• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using Software to Prep Will, Legit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Questi0n5

What is the name of your state? IL

Is it legitimate to use software to prepare a will for my grandparents?

Here is a story about someone suing QuickenWill, http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-6152761.html, which brought up this question. Is there a difference between preparing it for them without them present, then having them sign it, (practicing law) versus going through the software WITH them present the whole way (providing technical assistance).

I planned on using software to put together their will, and then go through the necessary notarizing and witness verification processes? Would it be legitimate?

Of course the best thing to do is to get a lawyer for us to put it together, but what is the next best / legitimate alternative?

Thanks for your help!

fairisfair

oh, so you are not an attorney? and yet you are preparing legal documents for a person other than yourself? practicing law does require a license, or passing the bar, or something.:rolleyes:

oh, so you are not an attorney? and yet you are preparing legal documents for a person other than yourself? practicing law does require a license, or passing the bar, or something.:rolleyes:
Unless you're a notary in Louisiana ... even then you have to pass the notary exam.

dmode101

What is the name of your state? IL

Is it legitimate to use software to prepare a will for my grandparents?

Here is a story about someone suing QuickenWill, http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-6152761.html, which brought up this question. Is there a difference between preparing it for them without them present, then having them sign it, (practicing law) versus going through the software WITH them present the whole way (providing technical assistance).

I planned on using software to put together their will, and then go through the necessary notarizing and witness verification processes? Would it be legitimate?

Of course the best thing to do is to get a lawyer for us to put it together, but what is the next best / legitimate alternative?

Thanks for your help!
You get what you pay for.

In addition to the issue of practicing law without a license, if the Will benefits you in any way beyond what you might get with no will, then it will be pretty easily subject to attack by another heir claiming undue influence on your part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">