• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Validity of a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NEIASD

State:Iowa
I was always under the impression that in order for a will to be legal, a person had to be of sound mind. My Mother-in-law recently passed away, and the will was made shortly before her death from alzheimers. Only 1 of her five children is mentioned in the will, the one that took her to the attorney to write it. This daughter claims the entire estate is repayment for the help she provided for the last 6 months of her Mothers life. All of the children were in good standing and treated fairly by their Mother, when she was able to recognize them. They also all contributed to her care in some way. It was clearly a sad situation.
Would this will be difficult to contest? Is it a long drawn out process? It was published in the paper on June 28th, what time frame are we looking at if my husband and his siblings decide to contest it?

A

advisor10

JULY 12, 2001

DEAR NEIASD:

It looks as if you have a very good chance of winning your case if there is written documentation that the onset of Alzheimer's occurred before the date the will was written.

Do you have any idea of what the value of the estate is? Would your share of the estate, if you won the case, be enough to cover attorney fees? Your situation is so specific that you really do need to consult with a local attorney about it (first consultation is usually free).

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">