• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

veteran's money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dorothy capps

My father died in 1994, my mother fought for DIV benifits until she died in 1999. Shortly after her death family received letter that mother's appeals had been successful. Now VA is denying children rights to the retroactive monies owed to my mother (some $37000) as a part of her estate. We are upset understandably as we feel the VA made my mother suffer needlessly for monies that belonged to her and contributed to her early death. Now that she has won we feel her children should receive the monies that should have been hers all along. Are we right? And if so, who can we go to to plead our case. We have filed a claim, but of course we just keep being denied. We live in Tennessee.
As a matter of interest, my father was one of the survivors of the U.S.S. Indianapolis that was sunk during WWII after carrying parts of the atomic bomb on a secret mission. In irony, many men died then as well because the government forgot about them & just didn't care about honoring their committments.

suvivors daughter surviving

A

advisor10

3-14-2002

DEAR MRS. CAPPS:

It's a shame that those government agencies don't have more respect for the people they are supposed to be helping.

Look in your local phone book under the section for Attorneys or Lawyers, and you should be able to find one whose ad mentions that he specializes in Veterans Administration cases. If you don't find one who specializes in that specific area, try contacting those who work with Social Security Benefits cases and call them and they can probably give you a referral to someone who could assist you.

Good luck in getting your money--I hope the letters/documentation you have are strong enough to support your contention that they did confirm that she was eligible to be receiving the money. I can't imagine what excuses they are coming up with now that they have found out she is deceased, too.

J

jerzeegirl

www.hadit.com

I know this is an old post, so I hope the writer sees this if the information is still needed. Go to www.hadit.com, a messageboard and other information is available to disabled veterans and their families regarding disability issues, especially dealing with the Veterans Administration. This is a GREAT source of information and support. Please do not delay. You should be able to find an attorney who deals strictly with veterans law, and there are many. Try a google search under "veterans law" and see what happens...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">