• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA Typical will scenerios?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linda Crutcher

Washington State

What are some typical will scenerios? My husband of nearly one year and I are attempting to create a will. It is new to both of us. He is 54, I am 57.

I have 3 grown, unmarried, children, he has none. I have two siblings, sister and brother, both unmarried. He has one unmarried sister and two grown neices; one is married with a baby on the way.

My husband came into the marriage with a lot of assets, I have comparatively few assets. No, we did not to the pre-nup agreement (It was within a month of marriage and too late in the game to go through with it.) But in his mind, the money is still separate, even though he knows that WA is a community property state.

We are currently seeing a financial planner who wants to know how our estate is to be distributed. We don't know where to begin.

What's a typical scenerio-- generally. Then perhaps, if you have a specific suggestion, that would be great too.

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

There is no such thing as a typical will scenario.

That's why prepackaged will programs are dangerous.

You all decide how you want stuff split and get a good lawyer (not a financial planner) to draw something up.

I'd suggest you look into a revocable living trust as well.

And don't forget powers of attorney for financial and health care.

curb1

As a starting point, I think it is fair for you to divide the assets on the same ratio of value that each of you brought to the marriage. But, if either of you want to contribute more, then that is a possibility, also. It would not be unusual for him to desire keeping assets acquired previously to your marriage within "his" family. The assets you jointly accrue would be joint assets. Then after this is decided and both of you are comfortable (good luck!) go to an attorney to have the will (or trust) drawn.

Dandy Don

Consult books about estate planning from a local library or bookstore and then decide if you want to consult a certified estate planner or not. And even then if your assets are substantial (perhaps in the millions or high hundreds of thousands).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">