• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiver of accounting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyclman

In California:
The administrator of my father's estate has been less than honest. I got him to admit he took money for personal use, but not how much. If he took as much money as I fear he did, he has already taken most of his share.
After pressure from the other heirs, he started the process of a partial distribution, but the estate attorney sent a waiver of accounting (at the request of the administrator). I fear he is trying to mask the fact he took money. An included letter states that an accounting will still be done later, before the final distribution, but it doesn't specify if said accounting will be from inception. The waiver is very short. It says:
(my name), one of the heirs of the Estate of (father's name),deceased, does hereby waive the filing and settlement of a preliminary account by the Administrator of the Estate of (father's name).
If I sign this, am I giving up my right to know what has been done with the money up to this point? Or in CA is it law that an accounting FROM INCEPTION will still have to be done at the end no matter what? My instinct tells me not to sign this. Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">