• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiver of rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanisloray

What is the name of your state? NY

My grandfather recently passed away, and my grandmother has been doing some strange things lately.

She wants to have my mother sign a waiver of some sort, so that she cannot contest the will.

The will also has a few ammendments (they were called some C word, castatilles or something).

She has been telling my mother different things about what is in the will so finally my mother called the lawyer and found out for herself what was up. They didn't have my mother's address and phone number, or my address or phone number, even though both of us were in the will. They also seemed to have a different age put down for me than what I am. I'm 22.

My grandmother doesn't want either of us to see the will and wants us to sign this waiver. I just wanted to know if anyone else had heard of this happening, because I've asked many other people if they had done this when their family died and all of them said no.

So what's up? Are the lawyers my grandmother is using a bit shady? Or is she trying to cover her tracks?

Thanks....

Dandy Don

No waivers should be signed without first consulting with a probate attorney to get an exact understanding of what is being signed.

Grandma and her attorneys might not necessarily be shady, but she is obviously concerned and worried about her financial status now that her husband is gone. Mother has the right to ask for a copy of the will but she should first check at the county courthouse to see if it has been filed there--if so she can get a copy there without bothering grandma.

Bottom line is that grandma may be trying to "cheat" other heirs out of what is rightfully theirs, but she must face reality and do exactly what the will says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">