• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to take care of my children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Patticake66

Still trying to take care of children

I have two small children and want to make sure they are taken care of if something were to happen to me and my husband at the same time. We don't have any real property except for life insurances. We have someone who we would like to take care of our children but they are not immediate family. I believe they would raise them the way we would. I want to know if I have to have a lawyer to draw up paper to make this legal or if we can have it written down and notorised. We don't have the money for a lawyer right now but I worry about my kids being took care of. We have enough insurance to provide for their future I just want to make sure they are raise up as a christian like we are. Any info. would be helpful.

Please is someone knows, please reply.

[Edited by Patticake66 on 11-28-2000 at 02:13 PM]

ALawyer

There are actually sample Will forms on FreeAdvice.com as well as forms you can buy that allow you to NOMINATE a guardian of your choice. (The courts usually appoint that person, but need not follow your recommendation.)

When you seek to name someone outside the family as guardian in some places and circumstances that can pose problems, such as what happens if your parents or siblings petition to raise the kids (courts often prefer that) or if the new family splits up (it happens).

Also, as most people have some assets -- even if only insurance -- it is important to get the insurance and the rest of what you own in your joint or separate estates in synch, and arrange for enough to be available to the guardians to raise your kids and still leave something to them.

It often is inexpensive to have a real lawyer help you plan it through, and draw up a real Will and make sure it is properly exectuted and witnessed. If it is not done right, things get VERY expensive!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">