• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to terminate Irrevocable Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RFlint

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Myself and two siblings are beneficiaries of an irrevocable trust set up by our grandfather. The trust language dictates that upon grandpa's death, my father was to receive a certain percentage of the corpus every year. Upon our father's death, we (grandchildren) are to receive income and discretionary principal distributions. Our father has died so myself and siblings are now primary beneficiaries and are receiving said income. It's essentially a dynasty trust -- there is no set date for termination or anything like that.

The total trust is worth a couple mil. (well below the GST tax exemption limit) split equally between the three of us, so there should be no taxes due, other than some income, potentially.

All beneficiaries would like to terminate the trust and have access to the principal for various reasons, but the motivating factor is that the income being generated is very little and the principal is not growing. We believe that termination would be more beneficial.

The current trustee is a large corporation relying on a committee to make decisions on principal distributions. Further, they are unwilling to get on board with our request to terminate. Therefore, we have contacted a couple of attorneys and discussed options -- all of the attorneys have found that the trust language leaves some room for interpretation on what to do with the estate upon the death of our father, believing it could be argued that we were to be paid outright upon his death. However, I do not think that was our grandfather's intent -- it was just poor drafting.

The discrepancy in interpretation is as follows:

"Upon the death of [father], the Trustee shall distribute the remainder of the Trust Estate to [father's] then living lineal descendants, per stirpes." -- The attorneys we've talked to say that this means we should be paid out, yet there's a later article which instructs the trustee how to handle trusts for grandchildren (us).

"Each share established for the benefit of a grandchild of Grantor in accordance with the preceding Articles of this Trust Agreement shall be held by the Trustee as the principal of a separate Trust." -- This shows my grandfather's intent, even though the previous article was not explicit about referencing this article for grandchildren should my dad leave living descendants. This article for grandchildren is only referenced in the previous article in the event our father had NOT left any lineal descendants.

I know that my grandfather fully intended for all shares going to grandchildren to be kept in trust. I have contacted the attorney who drafted the document and he's confirmed as much. However, the language is muddy and this is why various attorneys have suggested that we should have received our shares free of trust and that the "grandchildren" article does not apply to us. It should only apply if my dad had no living children or other descendants.

So we've decided, before hiring an attorney and taking this to court, that we would attempt to find a new trustee who would be willing to terminate it for us, based on that interpretation. The document gives us the ability, as beneficiaries, to remove the current trustee and appoint a successor. The trick is finding somebody who meets the requirements and is willing to do such a thing -- we'd even be willing to pay. So far, no such luck, but we've only tried two trust companies at this point. As I understand it, Florida law allows non-judicial modification, as long as it's permissible.

We're just not sure what to do at this point -- Continue shopping for a trustee who will act in our interests, if that's even possible, or just lawyer up and take this thing to court knowing that the current trustee will fight it and that the drafting attorney could potentially provide extrinsic evidence in favor of the trustee.

justalayman

Taking excerpts out of context proves nothing but what it appears to say is the trust is to be distributed to the lineal descendants in the form of new trusts, independent of each other.

You need to take the document in whole. You don't seem to be.

RFlint

Taking excerpts out of context proves nothing but what it appears to say is the trust is to be distributed to the lineal descendants in the form of new trusts, independent of each other.

You need to take the document in whole. You don't seem to be.
No, I do recognize that contextual interpretation as I believe it to be the original intent. Maybe I was not clear in stating that in my post. It is the attorney's I've spoken to which found another way to read the language in the trust and I do agree with them that the words at least leave some room for argument one way or the other. More than a few attorneys have viewed the document at this point and have independently arrived at that interpretation. At the very least, the trust can be read a couple of different ways due to poor structuring or a mistake in punctuation.

My concern is whether or not this is a strong enough argument to take to the courts. I don't believe it is, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks for your response.

tranquility

No, I do recognize that contextual interpretation as I believe it to be the original intent. Maybe I was not clear in stating that in my post. It is the attorney's I've spoken to which found another way to read the language in the trust and I do agree with them that the words at least leave some room for argument one way or the other. More than a few attorneys have viewed the document at this point and have independently arrived at that interpretation. At the very least, the trust can be read a couple of different ways due to poor structuring or a mistake in punctuation.

My concern is whether or not this is a strong enough argument to take to the courts. I don't believe it is, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks for your response.
You either litigate to "clarify" the trust or it stays in existence as the trustee does not agree to termination. The trustee will use trust funds to defend his position. Since even you have doubts about the meaning, it is unlikely there will be a fiduciary breach from doing so. At the end of the day, the trust is usually thought of as Scalia thought of the law, the plain text as understood by the parties at the creation of the trust. The intent of the grantor may factor in and the plain meaning today may factor in, but the original understanding of the wording is usually given the most weight.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One would think that, with the ability to choose a new trustee, the OP and his/her siblings could find somebody who is, perhaps, more likely to interpret the trust in a mutually agreeable way. Does the trust require a professional trustee?

tranquility

One would think that, with the ability to choose a new trustee, the OP and his/her siblings could find somebody who is, perhaps, more likely to interpret the trust in a mutually agreeable way. Does the trust require a professional trustee?
Being able to choose the successor trustee is not the same as being able to demand the current trustee resign.

tranquility

According to the OP, they have the ability to do both:
While possible, many issues arise when the beneficiary has unbridled power to remove and appoint the trustee. They are then often considered the power holder and tax issues result. One might be the beneficiary should be taxed on income to the trust rather than the trust being taxed. There is almost assuredly a "savings clause" that limits the beneficiary's ability to remove and appoint the trustee. Something like making the trust irrevocable except through the exact terms of the trust, fiduciary capacity only limitation where the trustee can only deal with an inability to deal with the principal for other than full consideration, specific limitation on a beneficiary/trustee powers or a requirement of appointing an independent trustee. If there was truly unbridled power, then the OP has no real option that will end the trust.

One example of the "short" savings clause (From Jerry Horn's Heckerling article):
(1)
No particular Trustee shall possess, or
participate in the exercise of, any power given
the Trustee by this instrument or by law to make
any determination with respect to
(a)
any payment or application which would
discharge any legal obligation of such particular
Trustee personally, or
(b)
any payment to, or expenditure for the
benefit of, such particular Trustee personally
(neither the preceding portion of this paragraph
(1) nor any otherwise-applicable rule of law
shall limit such particular Trustee’s possession
or participation in the exercise of any power (or
severable portion thereof) granted in this
instrument to such Trustee to consume, invade
or appropriate property for the benefit of such
Trustee personally which is limited by an
ascertainable standard relating to the health,
education, support or maintenance of such
Trustee personally.)

RFlint

You either litigate to "clarify" the trust or it stays in existence as the trustee does not agree to termination. The trustee will use trust funds to defend his position. Since even you have doubts about the meaning, it is unlikely there will be a fiduciary breach from doing so. At the end of the day, the trust is usually thought of as Scalia thought of the law, the plain text as understood by the parties at the creation of the trust. The intent of the grantor may factor in and the plain meaning today may factor in, but the original understanding of the wording is usually given the most weight.
Yeah, I do not have a lot of confidence in being successful should we take this to court. I think it would just be a waste of time and money, which is why we're looking at changing trustees.

RFlint

Yes, there are certain requirements that must be met for trustees. They have to be a regulated financial institution with a certain amount of trust assets under management. So I can't just appoint my neighbor, for instance.

We did find a firm which interpreted the trust in our favor and was willing to terminate for us on the condition that we get a letter of confirmation from the drafting attorney. I contacted him and he was not willing to write that letter, which is when I found out what, in fact, the intentions in the document actually are. This is just another reason why I don't feel like going to court on this matter would be wise or even morally responsible.

RFlint

While possible, many issues arise when the beneficiary has unbridled power to remove and appoint the trustee. They are then often considered the power holder and tax issues result. One might be the beneficiary should be taxed on income to the trust rather than the trust being taxed. There is almost assuredly a "savings clause" that limits the beneficiary's ability to remove and appoint the trustee. Something like making the trust irrevocable except through the exact terms of the trust, fiduciary capacity only limitation where the trustee can only deal with an inability to deal with the principal for other than full consideration, specific limitation on a beneficiary/trustee powers or a requirement of appointing an independent trustee. If there was truly unbridled power, then the OP has no real option that will end the trust.

One example of the "short" savings clause (From Jerry Horn's Heckerling article):
The document gives us limited power to remove and appoint a trustee. Certain conditions must be met in order to exercise this power and those conditions currently exist. The attorney's we've dealt with see no issue in our ability to change trustees, but our ability to do so is not without certain limitations.

We, as beneficiaries, receive all income from the trust and do pay taxes on it. There is no income which is not distributed, as far as I know.

I'm trying to make sense of the excerpt you posted. The document we have does of course lay out very clearly what must be done in order to remove and appoint a successor trustee and there are clauses regarding the powers of the trustee. There are exclusive/specific powers for the current trustee and then articles which fall under administrative provisions. These mainly deal with the trustee not being able to personally benefit in some way and prohibitions from a beneficiary serving as trustee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">