• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Bills am I liable for as personal Representative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tenelks

I live in Oregon and my sister passed away on May 15, 2001.
She died pennyless and did not have an estate worth more than a couple of hundered dollars. There was a garage sell that netted around two hundered dollars which was divided among her two boys ages 13 and 15. I was named her personal representative in her will and am also guardian of her two boys. She had a credit card bill for $1200.00 and a few monor bills totaling around $200.00. Where the problem begins, is I have been getting back child support checks written out to the estate of my sister. The state has not set up current support yet, so I have set up a checking acount for her estate and have been able to cash and use the money for supporting her kids. Am I legally responsible for putting this back child support, about $1600.00, toward her bills. Will someone come after me later on. Also the credit card bill is now comming with my sisters name and C/O my name. Will my credit be affected if this is not paid.

sincerely; Tony

HomeGuru

You will not be held personally liable as your position is representative of the Estate, therefore you are in capacity of the Estate adminstrator representing only the Estate and not as a personal indivdual representing yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">