• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a Claim Hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4gals1guy

What is a claim hearing in probate court? The person has been dead for years, but now there is a claim hearing. Can people make claims against an estate that long after the death?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

4gals1guy said:
What is a claim hearing in probate court? The person has been dead for years, but now there is a claim hearing. Can people make claims against an estate that long after the death?
My response:

To receive the most complete legal information to your question,
you must include the State Name.

Also, how long has he/she been dead ?

What is the claim about - - be specific; e.g., credit card, auto accident, etc.

IAAL

4gals1guy

Illinois. She has been dead almost three years (01/99). I don't know what the claim is about, but I saw on a judge's calendar that there was a "claim hearing" yesterday. I'm just curious about it because I'm involved in another matter with some of the survivors. She died in a car accident. Is the probate file public record? Could I read it if I went to the courthouse?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The S.O.L. in Illinois for personal injury is 2 years from the date of accident. So, I imagine that the deceased was being sued prior to death, and when she died, the suit was transmuted as against the Estate.

Yes, the Estate file is Public Record, and you can review it any time you'd like. Just go to the Clerk's office and ask for it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">