• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

happy1tobe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I am currently living with a man from England for the past three years here in Houston, that is not divorced from his wife in England due to the agreement of their son finishing college. This should take place in 2010, at the moment though they are living apart there is no legal anything,ie, divorce or separation. My questions is this, we live in a house my boyfriend has purchased, is there any way should something happen to him that I would be protected such as will or Tenants in Common vs Joint TenancyTenants in Common?

Other than a life insurance policy that I could take out in his name, is there any other means of protecting myself? We currently have separate accounts.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

Last edited:

curb1

Protecting yourself from what? You said the "boyfriend" purchased the house. What are you trying to protect?

garrula lingua

Is your name on the title to the house ?

The best way to ensure you would acquire some of his assets should he die, is by a will, or a shared name on a deed, or by being listed as a beneficiary.

Also, bank accounts can have a "pay-on-death - POD" designation; stocks & bonds, IRAs, etc. can list a beneficiary.

Have you made any arrangements to protect him in case something happens to you - life insurance, will, etc ?

What will you do if he doesn't die, but needs daily help ? Will you care for him ? Have you both completed Medical Power of Attorney forms, at least ?
Would you have any say in his care or medical procedures if he couldn't make decisions ?
Don't you think that's most important - that you can each take care of the other ??

The real thing we need 'protection' from in losing a loved one is the emotional and physical loss - the grief of not having them to hold and cherish and share our life.
Is that what you are trying to protect yourself from ?

happy1tobe

I of course would be devastated if anything happen to my love whom I choose to share my life with. I don’t anticipate anything happening, however small sports cars in Houston are dangerous and having two family members killed in auto accidents already, makes me worry for his safety. Should something happen where he needs me to be by his side, without a doubt I would be there. The same would be said should something happen to me.

Someone ask if I would give up my life insurance, 401k, bank accounts, stocks for him, of course I will but how do I make sure should something happen to us that my share goes to my mother, rather than his wife and children that he is legally married to in England, remember I am single without children. It seems to be very complicated and yes a divorce will happen but will take time in the UK as that is the simple solution.

The home we live in, we could not comingle our funds so that we would both be on the deed because of not knowing the legal complications from his marriage in the UK. However we live as a committed couple and have been for the past three years. The agreement to the wife overseas is that no changes would be made until the son graduates which should be at the end of the year. At that time he would request divorce, which in the UK will take much longer than 6 months, like here in Texas. With that being said both of us would like to make sure that I would not be forced out of the home, yes, protected should an accident occur that results in his death.

The questions are how do we proceed or is it possible under the conditions of him being legally married in the UK would this cancel any legal document here in the States? We would legally like to take care of this matter, however, not sure what direction to take.

Once again, thank you in advance for your help on this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">