• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What To Do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tlk2theplm

I live in the state of California. My parents Divorce and my father has remarried a few years ago. The problem that I am having is my dad suffered a massive stroke on Dec 1,01. He is recovering, but it will be a slow process. My dad does have a bank account with 75,000 in it under his and my name he also has a small checking account in which he receives his retirement and social security benefits (he is 63). He also has a car and a 26ft travel trailer only in his name. My dad's new wife would like to purchase property using his money and any money she has.She is concerned if my father needs long term care they are only allowed to have 1 car, 1 house, and $2000.00 in the bank. She feels they will attach to his bank account. I feel if my dad is going into long term care he will not need a house and would like to find away to use that money for his care. I also dont trust her and was wondering what steps can I take to make sure my dad's interests are coming first. I would like to know what if any are the reprocusions of moving the money into my name as a trust for my dad. Also I have my personal savings account the same way can the state attach that since my dad's name is on that?:confused:

ALawyer

This is one that needs specialzed advice as the CAlifornia medicaid/medical folks can be vigorous. See an elder lawyer as it is usually worth the fee 10-100 times over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">