• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do if our father will not make out a Will and he is 82 years old.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curb1

Make out the will for him and if he agrees, he will sign it. Are his plans simple (does he have plans for disbursement?)? What are the nature of his assets/debts? How many potential beneficiaries are involved? It is an unfortunate gesture on his part to leave his life in uncertainty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Make out the will for him and if he agrees, he will sign it. Are his plans simple (does he have plans for disbursement?)? What are the nature of his assets/debts? How many potential beneficiaries are involved? It is an unfortunate gesture on his part to leave his life in uncertainty.
This is VERY bad advice. If dad doesn't want to make out a will, then there will be no will.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You removed your post - how nice.
Leave your poor father's money and personal/real property alone. Maybe he's already got a will but you are specifically excluded due to your greed and/or attempts to take his stuff while he's still kicking...

:rolleyes:

enjay

I didn't see the original post so perhaps it was greedy or offensive, but I think that our elders should be reminded to have their affairs in order. My MIL just passed away and left a huge mess that will likely take years to sort out. It would have been a billion times easier if she were willing to face her mortality and specify her wishes. As it was, she didn't want to think about dying and didn't leave a will.

Did anyone "make" her write a will? No, but it was suggested and we all really wish she had planned better.

curb1

enjay,
I agree. It was not stated why "the father" didn't want to make a will. It might have been as simple as not having the energy to do it. That is why I suggested the help. Depending on the situation, a great amount of problems can follow without the will. Communication is important. It is not necessarily "greed" that children should/could desire a parent to have a will.

justalayman

once a person dies, it matters not what happens to their estate so a will is solely for the benefit of those still here.

the title of the thread:

What to do if our father will not make out a Will and he is 82 years old.
infers this action is by choice. I would suggest the OP or others have already attempted to help him take care of this yet he refuses. His choice.

If you do not want the hassle of dealing with a decedents estate, you simply don;t have to. Somebody will take care of things even if there is no family willing to do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">