• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do with PA estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serenityfarms

Significant other of 10 years passed away at 27 in an accident. He owned a home with a mortgage(bought in 2007 with 0 down-no equity), a Jeep which was co owned and transferred to me solely after his death by the loan company, and has $75.00 in his bank account.

Debts are credit cards and medical bills. I have been paying the mortgage as I have been living in the home with our two children. No executor has been assigned. I consulted an attorney who was never available for questions and when I dropped him he nicely charged me $600.00 for a 2 hour meeting.

Funeral expenses were paid by me. Basically I want to give the house back to the bank. No chance of selling in the current market plus the home needs repairs I cannot afford. I have since purchased a home and have my own mortgage to pay. I cannot support both. There isn't even enough funds or assets to reimburse for the funeral expenses. He owned no expensive collections, etc. All furniture in the home was both of ours.

How do I settle this estate? His parents don't want to be involved and I don't have time for this. I have two kids and am working my butt off to support them. He passed away in January and I know this needs to get taken care of asap. I did notify all creditors and have kept copies of all the bills mailed to the home.

Thank you.

anteater

You have no obligation on the home, right? You aren't a co-owner? You aren't a co-borrower?

I think that I would send a letter to the lender stating that you are walking and the lender can do whatever needs to be done.

Don't know what you have or have not done. But, you have no obligation to settle his estate. If I am understanding correctly, the only interest in the estate you really have is that of a creditor - the funeral expenses.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

It sounds like you are in an excellent position. Take your kids, your jeep and your household possessions and move. If anything manages to be forwarded to your new address, mark it return to sender. It would be nice of you to advise the mortgage and cc companies that you are not going to pay his bills any longer.

LdiJ

Significant other of 10 years passed away at 27 in an accident. He owned a home with a mortgage(bought in 2007 with 0 down-no equity), a Jeep which was co owned and transferred to me solely after his death by the loan company, and has $75.00 in his bank account.

Debts are credit cards and medical bills. I have been paying the mortgage as I have been living in the home with our two children. No executor has been assigned. I consulted an attorney who was never available for questions and when I dropped him he nicely charged me $600.00 for a 2 hour meeting.

Funeral expenses were paid by me. Basically I want to give the house back to the bank. No chance of selling in the current market plus the home needs repairs I cannot afford. I have since purchased a home and have my own mortgage to pay. I cannot support both. There isn't even enough funds or assets to reimburse for the funeral expenses. He owned no expensive collections, etc. All furniture in the home was both of ours.

How do I settle this estate? His parents don't want to be involved and I don't have time for this. I have two kids and am working my butt off to support them. He passed away in January and I know this needs to get taken care of asap. I did notify all creditors and have kept copies of all the bills mailed to the home.

Thank you.
You actually don't have to settle his estate. You can simply walk away from everything. You have no legal responsibility. Any mutual children of yours would have been entitled to at least a share of his estate if he had one, but since all he has is debt, no one is responsible for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">