• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do WE do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pattijc

What is the name of your state? CA

I will try to keep this short.
my Grandfather remarried about 20 years ago. He passed 5 years ago. Step grandma and granpa were both on the deed and that stayed that way after grandpa died. He owned the property for years before they married. Grandma passed this past weekend. Our family loved her and we took care of her more than her own family did. Her children have shown up now and took over. We don't mind that so much but Grandpa has alot of old family heirlooms that we are expecting to disappear. Her oldest son says he is her excueter but we know she had no will. We have been told the property will go into probate but we would like to see the property stay in our family. Grandpa worked his whole life to be able to buy his little place to retire.
Is there a way for our family to buy the property without having to pay a fortune for it? We are not rich and can't really afford to pay alot as we all have mortgages of our own but we would like to keep his place in our family for sentimental reasons.
She has 4 grown children and Grandpa has 3 grown children.
Any help would be great.
Thank you

HomeGuru

pattijc said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I will try to keep this short.
my Grandfather remarried about 20 years ago. He passed 5 years ago. Step grandma and granpa were both on the deed and that stayed that way after grandpa died. He owned the property for years before they married. Grandma passed this past weekend. Our family loved her and we took care of her more than her own family did. Her children have shown up now and took over. We don't mind that so much but Grandpa has alot of old family heirlooms that we are expecting to disappear. Her oldest son says he is her excueter but we know she had no will. We have been told the property will go into probate but we would like to see the property stay in our family. Grandpa worked his whole life to be able to buy his little place to retire.
Is there a way for our family to buy the property without having to pay a fortune for it? We are not rich and can't really afford to pay alot as we all have mortgages of our own but we would like to keep his place in our family for sentimental reasons.
She has 4 grown children and Grandpa has 3 grown children.
Any help would be great.
Thank you
**A: you would need to petition the probate court and file the offer to purchase the property from the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">