• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does publishing of a Will actually mean ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yjglab

My aunt passed away a few months ago and there are questions whether the will says what my uncle says it is says.

My uncle stated that the Will is "published". Can you clarify what this means. Published in court records or where ?

I told my mom I would check to see if she can view the will on her own without visiting my uncle since he is on the _ _ _ _ list with many family members for the past year.

Thank you for your help,
Yvonne

Dandy Don

The will is NOT published--your uncle is a bit confused. He is referring to a notice of publication, which means that when the will is filed at the county courthouse probate court, a notice is published in the local newspaper that probate is opened, so that interested relatives and creditors know how to contact the executor for more information or to file a claim.

You or anyone else can go to the county courthouse probate court to look at the will and get a copy, if you wish, if the will has been filed, which is normally done within 30 days after the death.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

yjglab said:
My aunt passed away a few months ago and there are questions whether the will says what my uncle says it is says.

My uncle stated that the Will is "published". Can you clarify what this means. Published in court records or where ?

I told my mom I would check to see if she can view the will on her own without visiting my uncle since he is on the _ _ _ _ list with many family members for the past year.

Thank you for your help,
Yvonne
Your uncle is correct...the will is indeed published.

"Publish" (in this case) has nothing to do with newspapers or any such thing. It means, in a will, that the testator (the one who is writing the will) is said to publish and declare that the last will and testament he is writing is a true expression of his testamentary intent (i.e., his intent to write a valid will). Law students learn this in the first year of law school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">