• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens to an asset?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

execsupport

What is the name of your state? SC

Because of my husband's divorce and a long term illness I had, our credit wasn't very good. We are working on this but it is not clear yet. My husband works out of town and my mother helped us purchase a camper for him to live in. The title and the loan are in her name.

We have paid 2 years on the 5 year loan. She just passed away. There was no credit life insurance on the loan. She had promised to put it in her will that the camper was ours. The executor refuses to give us a copy of the will but says the camper is ours in it and to just keep making the payments.

If the title is transferred to us, what happens to the loan? Will we be allowed to continue making payments on the same loan if her name is no longer on the title? Will the estate have to pay off the loan? Will we have to refinance it, which we are not sure we can do?

We suspect my sister, the executor's ex-wife, may have been made the sole heir in a recent will because of my mother's deteriorating mental state and vulnerability. My other sister and I know that both she and the executor have copies of the will but refuse to give it to us or tell us anything about it.

BelizeBreeze

If Probate has been opened, then you can get a copy of the will from the probate clerk in the county where she died.

If there has been no probate opened, write a CERTIFIED (RRR) letter to the executor of the estate requestion in writing a disposition of the trailer (what you should do and how the trailer is addressed in the will) or you will cease payments immediately as you have no financial obligation without ownership interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">