• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens to house if we die without a will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msingleman

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband and I purchased his moms house last year to help her handle her finances better. She is now basically renting from us. What happens to the house if both of us die without a will. The house is in Texas. I am not familiar enough with state law to know what to tell her. She asked us about it and I would like to put her at ease about it.

Thanks

S

StuckOnStupid

The house will be tied up in Probate Court and your heirs will own the property.

The simple "peace of mind" solution for Mom is to grant her a "Life Estate" by executing and recording a new deed. That way she can live on the property for the rest of her natural life regardless of any Will, no Will or Trust that may be established later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">