• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what happens without a will or living trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irvineboy

1) attorneys are probably stating that the property does not escape probate, because when the 2nd joint tenant dies, it will go into probate, assuming nothing was changed after 1st joint tenant dies. so technically it is a true statement.

2) if i recall, properties in trust in community property states receive a step-up in basis for the entire property, not just the deceased tenant's half.
Trustuser, can you explain your second comment, using Ron's numbers as an example so we can understand better?

irvineboy

Zigner, that is why I have been posting. Their english and computer skills are not the best. I've posted the situation. Not sure what else you would need.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...in fact, based on post #5, it appears that you are trying to play the part of an estate planner on his behalf. "Someone you know" should seek professional advice...really.

irvineboy

If they could do it, they would have hired someone already. But I guess based on the two scenarios, its difficult to explain which is the less tax heavy route. It sounds like TOD because there is no basis step up compared to JTWROS.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If they could do it, they would have hired someone already. But I guess based on the two scenarios, its difficult to explain which is the less tax heavy route. It sounds like TOD because there is no basis step up compared to JTWROS.
With the dollar figures you are throwing around in your hypotheticals, they can't afford NOT to do it. It's really foolish for you to be advising on this. We're not talking about $10k in a savings account and a 10 year old car...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">