• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lostnhurt

I am in Tx. 6 months ago my father was killed in an accident
He was married to a woman who is not my mother, he left no will as far as I am told. He had 3 biological children. Is everything he had (a small business, several cars, boat & Home)automatically left to my stepmother, do I or my siblings have any legal rights to any possessions. He had his business before marrying her. My concern is how long do we have to dispute anything & if something was to happen to her would her children be the only ones with legal rights to my fathers property. I am in turmoil about what to do. Please advice me quickly. SIncerely LostNHurt

ALawyer

First thing to do is ask a lawyer in Texas.

In general a spous does not inherit everything UNLESS the estate is small (most states say the first $X thousand goes to the spouse and thereafter things are split 1/3rd to spouse 2/3rds to the kids) or the propety was held as joint property with right of survivorship, or there was a Will naming the spouse as beneficiary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">